Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Hangman's Daughter

By Oliver Potzsch
As far as gruesome, somewhat gross and otherwise disturbing books go...
I liked this one! It wasn't so gross that I couldn't read it, but it is about a Hangman after all. this book takes place in the mid 1600's. It was a time when anyone could be accused of being a witch. However, this time it is the midwife of all his children's births that is accused. The Hangman, being the big ol softy he is, becomes something of a detective in a quest to prove her innocence. I love the characters in this book. It does talk about witches, torture, death and a host of other somewhat adult topics. It has some language and references to sex. So, I would say it is an adult read. I couldn't put this one down.
One quote I loved:
"If you want to know who is responsible for anything, ask who benefits from it."

1 comment:

  1. Did you get it on your nook? I searched for it but couldn't find it?

    ReplyDelete