Friday, February 11, 2011

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society



I forgot how much I LOVE this book!! One of my all time favorites for sure.

It takes place in the 1940's and is a book of letters. At first it is hard to adjust to the style, but certainly worth hanging in there for. It is witty and full of humor. It is very clean and I would recommend it to anyone, however young readers may be bored by it.

So, the main character, an author named Juliet, has a little writers block when she gets a letter from man on the island of Guernsey that was captured by the Germans during the occupation. The island, now liberated, is home to a delightful bunch that send letters to Juliet as well. It's a story of finding yourself and making friends in unlikely places.

So cute. I will read it again and again.

In starting with a new tradition, here is a quote or 2:

"That's what I love about reading: one tiny thing will interest you in a book, and that tiny thing will lead you onto another book, and another bit there will lead you onto a third book. It's geometrically progressive- all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment."

"I much prefer whining to counting my blessings"

Oh, you have to read this book! So good!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. Some time listen to the audio version.

    ReplyDelete