Saturday, October 9, 2010

Glass Castle

Seriously the most gripping book I have read in a spell. Not the scary gripping, but I could not put this book down! I was in awe. I cannot believe it is a true story! I am horrified by it.
OK. So this is a memoir of growing up homeless and neglected, but loved in a weird way. She starts out when she was 3 years old and starts on fire while cooking her own hot dog. Her father kidnaps her from the hospital (because he doesn't believe in them) only to begin a long life of running from authorities. The stories of their neglect and filth are heart wrenching. They would eat food out of trash cans while their dad was drunk and their mother was painting. Their living conditions were hideous! The whole time I was reading this, I was wondering how many people live like this. I think I actually know a few.
So, that being said, I would only recommend this to adult readers that aren't looking for an uplifting read. Even in the end, well...
There is some language in this book but very little reference to sex, surprisingly.
I really loved this book and will most likely read her other book, "Half Broke Horses." I like her writing style a lot. It is very easy and has good flow.
Has anyone else read this?

1 comment:

  1. Now you need to read her other one about her grandmother ... Half Broke Horses. So interesting ...

    ReplyDelete