Monday, September 27, 2010

Warning!! I am going to spill the beans


OK Hunger Games fans! Becky is finally done with the series. Now, because no one else is... Let's talk about it!!!


I am warning you now, if you plan on reading this series, don't read this blog post.


So, all the hype was awesome and then my peeps read "Mockingjay". And then, not a word about it. Well, I guess I heard a lot of disappointment about it. No one liked the ending. And I gotta tell you, I did. I liked it. I liked the whole series. OK so I have put a lot of thought into this book and if I liked it. It took me a long time to finish. I have been avoiding "war" stories like the plague, so it was hard for me to read. I guess if I would change something, it would be the end. She wrapped this series up in the last 5 pages and I felt like I needed more info. Not necessarily more story, just more rhyme and reason. Here goes... Like I didn't feel like there was enough story behind killing President Coin. What was up with that? I mean, I understood why it had to happen but I needed more. I felt like that part was so hurried. Especially after she kills her. Locked up for a bit. Nobody really cared that she murders the Pres. Send her back to live in 12. What?!


NOW, here is my beef with the whole series. (It's a big beef for a book I loved.) I don't feel like it was a good young people read. I was a bit sad that Skyler read this last book before I did because I maybe wouldn't have let him read it. The series is out there as a teenage book, but I felt the games, the war, the gore and the whole concept was a little mature for young readers. One of the things I like most about the book was the Capitol control and taking it down. However, I think that side of the book is a little deep for the young un's. There is no sex or language which is refreshing, but the blood... Ouch!


I don't know what I was expecting with this book. I knew she would eventually take down the Capitol, but it was a tough read. I actually think someone close to her besides Prim should have died. One of the boys? Haymitch? Sometimes, it has to happen.


So, I want to know what everyone really thinks now that I put it out there. Come on people. What did you love about this? Hate? Are you glad it's over?


I LOVE that she ends up with poor little disturbed Peeta. Love it!! I kinda felt like Gale was always more big brother material. I like that they get to go back home and start new. I like that she concedes and has kids. Again, a little vague with the details, but hey...

2 comments:

  1. It's hard to say that you "like" a book like Mockingjay. I think what I would say is that it was worth reading. It made me think, it kept me spell bound, it left me a little different at the end.

    I think people struggle with this one because everyone starts the book damaged and they stay damaged. Given the circumstances, I don't know how anyone could not be damaged.

    As far as Gale & Katniss vs Peeta & Katniss, I could have gone either way. But I think it turned out the way it should. Katniss needed someone that was willing to look for brightness in the world because she and Gale couldn't find it anymore by themselves. And I was okay with the quick end. The cameras that had followed Katniss for all that time were finally shut off and we got the closest to a happy ending that I think was possible for her. Too much more and the end could have gotten very sappy.

    Okay, enough from me. I'd love to hear someone else's comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Blythe about "liking" the book. The whole idea is so disturbing from the start government control and killing youth - really makes you step back and think about things.

    I did not lik the ending with Katniss ending up with Pita. The only thing they had in common was the games that they were forced into. Katniss had feelings for Gale and they had so much in common, being from the same economic standing in District 12 and hunting to survive,taking care of their families etc...I just wanted to have more loose ends tied up with Gale.

    I do understand that going through something as traumatic as the Games would bring two people together as it did Katniss and Peeta. For me personally I would think of the injustice of it all every time I looked at Peeta. So with much trepidation I accept that they ended up together. I do know he really did love her.

    About Prim - It is ironic that the entire reason Katniss ended up in the games was to save Prim only to prolong her life for a few years. At the time that was the only choice to make though, Prim wouldn't have lasted a few days in the Arena. As horrible as it sounds, I wish Gale or Peeta would have been killed instead of Prim. I know that would kill the romantic angle of the book but so be it.

    Lastly I LOVED that she killed President Coin who was using her as a pawn in her own game - hmmmmm sound familiar? Phew I am glad it is over. I did love the series and am looking forward to more Suzanne Collins books.

    ReplyDelete