Friday, October 21, 2011

Ellen Foster

As soon as I read the first line on the back of this book, I knew I would read it.
"When I was little I would think of ways to kill my daddy." Now, nobody panic. I do NOT want to kill my daddy. I quite like my daddy. (Just to clarify.)
It has actually been on my "to read" list for quite some time now, so when I saw it at The Paperback Book Exchange, I was pretty happy. I've got to say, it was not what I was hoping for. It was a somewhat difficult read because it is written in first person of a little southern girl. I also thought it was unique though, in that it was wise and funny and yet it was a heart wrenching story about this neglected little girl.
It is a short pretty quick book with some language. I don't see a younger person staying engaged in the book long because of the style of writing. I really don't know how I feel about this one. Anyone read it?

2 comments:

  1. Liked this one too. There is a sequel. I own it but haven't read it yet. You may have inspired me to pull it out and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first several chapters while sitting in Borders (back in the days of Borders) and was intrigued, but never got back to it. Then, strangely enough, I saw the last 20 minutes of movie of it (it was a made for tv thing, I don't know, maybe a hallmark movie or on lifetime or something?) and was intrigued again, but still never got back to it. Heh, now i don't know if I ever will.

    ReplyDelete