Friday, February 19, 2010

Year of Wonders

By Geraldine Brooks



So, when I asked my friend Blythe for a good easy fast uplifting book, she delivered.
No, I mean she actually rented it for me.
As for all the other stuff...Blythe...uplifting?
The book is about the plague.
Hmmm...
Ok so I read it anyway. Actually beautifully written. It is really a descriptive read that you actually can put yourself into.
I give it a B. Possibly just because I was in a different mood, but I loved this gripping story.
Genre: Oh my I hope it is fiction!
Who would I reccomend this to? Anyone that loves literature. This is why Blythe loved it I am sure. It is an adult book in the sense of the awful details. I can't picture my neice sitting down to read about he plague. It also has some juicy words and a love scene that one can only appreciate if they understand her writing style. This is also somewhat gruesome. It is the plague we are reading about here.
Theme: A small town that blocks itself to the outside world after a plague outbreak. No one comes or goes and they bury each other day after day. Comes from one womans point of view and what she learns and suffers through caring for her neighbors.
What I think? I actually took a while to read this even though it is not lengthy. I must be busy. It held my attention throughout. I would say I enjoyed it if that didn't sound morbid. It was an excape from my hectic world to another.
Good book. Probabally would not reread it over and over.
Has anyone else read it?
Ps. Blythe, I adore you and your neverending list of good reads! Keep them coming!

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember the word uplifting being associated with this book when I recommended it but then again, I'm very tired lately so I can't always remember what I've said.

    My favorite character in this book was the witch. She should have been in the book more. (That may intrique some people into reading this).

    ReplyDelete